"Canarino" in Italian literally means canary, but don't worry, we are not going to bake sweet Tweety in the oven :) This is just the name Italians use for a herbal tea everyone makes at home when they had far too much food and want to help their digestion. This is one of many "nonna's remedies", i rimedi della nonna, and require just a good lemon and some bay leaves.
Adding Green Tea to this beverage enhances the natural property of the lemon zest and the bay leaves, giving a boost of antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, and vitamins.
Ingredients per person:
- Green Tea (3gr)
- 1 Lemon (zest only)
- 2 Bay Leaves
How to prepare:
- Wash your lemon
- Boil water on the stovetop
- Peel lemon zest avoiding the pith (the white part)
- Place the peel on the water along with 3 bay leaves
- Let it steep for 5 minutes or more, until the water turns to a bright yellow color - hence the name.
- Add Green Tea leaves and steep for 45 seconds
- Strain and Enjoy!
When to drink?
- Mornings to boost your energy
- After meals to help digestion
- If you have a cold or fever (rich in Vitamin C)
- Any other time!